Welcome to the Royal School of Needlework The International Centre
of Excellence for the
Art of Hand Embroidery
Future Tutors Programme
Find out about our Future Tutors programme - download our brochure pdf here
The RSN Future Tutor programme is specifically designed for men and women who wish to make a career in embroidery and teach techniques to the highest standards. This three year full-time course is the RSN’s own professional qualification and will include a teaching qualification to BTEC Level 4.
The programme provides you with:
- Technical skills in a wide variety of hand embroidery techniques
- Knowledge of teaching theory and practice
Elements of commercial practice relevant to freelance embroiderers
Students who complete this qualification will have:
- The skills to teach technique to RSN Certificate, Diploma and Degree level
- The skills to work as professional embroiderers in a commercial studio
- Some experience of restoration and conservation work
A broad insight into the life of a freelance embroiderer
- The majority of students study at our base at Hampton Court Palace (HCP).
- Wherever you are based you are required to spend a minimum of six consecutive weeks each academic year at HCP working in the RSN's embroidery Studio
- You will spend a further four to six weeks each year assisting with classes, exhibitions, and demonstrating at events at HCP, our regional satellite venues and public shows around the country
Tuition weeks will be structured as follows:
- 2 days tuition in embroidery technique
- 2 days self-directed working on samples and assessment pieces. Each completed module is assessed and requires a high standard of achievement to demonstrate full understanding of the skills learnt
- 1 day of general working practice including class, event and exhibition preparation, retail experience and business/office processes
- You will have eight weeks off during the year; two weeks at both Christmas and Easter, and four weeks during the summer
- You will have the opportunity to undertake paid work with the RSN from the end of the first year
Cost of Course:
The full fees for this three-year course is £11,500 per annum (as at September 2016). Partial funding may be available to assist with fees, along with student bursaries. We are always happpy to discuss the level of support that might be available. A list of bursaries available to Future Tutors students in 2015/16 are listed here.
A good standard of education to “A” Level or equivalent including a high standard of written and spoken English. No previous experience of embroidery is required but some knowledge of art and design is useful. Good communication and motor skills are required and the ability to pay attention to fine detail.
Opening Date: 1 January
Final Closing date: 31 March 2017